Hey, Remember this Awesome Book Mets Fans? I do….I do.


5 Years Later- A look at The Bad Guys Won by Jeff Pearlman

This Metsmerizing website (see what I did there?) is very young, and wasn’t around when this page turner of a book was originally released. So, now that we have come in to existence, and we bleed straight up brown (blue and orange are complimentary colors, and make brown, duh yo) it would be a crime for this site to not acknowledge Mr. Pearlman’s look in to the Mets championship run of 1986. From the boozin’, gamblin’, fightin’, druggin’, fieldin’, base stealin’, fastballin’, and home run sluggin’, this book covers it all. Any other site will tell you this book is a flat out great read, so lets skip that because its been covered before. What I want to do is highlight my favorite anecdotes in the book. I can’t divulge too many of the juicy details, as you really should buy, borrow, or steal this book because the whole thing is worth the read; but just to prove how good a read you have in front of you, I will share some of the things I learned from the book that I feel are full of the most blatant badassery and chutzpah.

-Kevin Mitchell can beat up everybody in the world. Example; as a no name minor leaguer trying to prove himself, he beat the ever loving snot out of the star of the Mets farm system, teammate Darryl Strawberry. It was a pick up basketball game where Darryl took umbrage from a hard foul by Mr. Mitchell, words were exchanged, and Strawberry was promptly punched in the face several times, body slammed, then punched some more.

-TWO different Mets had GQ covers during the season. Chicks wanted the Mets, Dudes wanted to be the Mets.

-There was a clique of reserves on the team that drank so damn much, and were so damn gross, inappropriate, vulgar, and dirty that they earned the name the Scum Bunch. Forget drinking contests, they had puking contests. For more antics and the names of the scum bunch, do Mr. Pearlman a solid and buy the book.

-Sid Fernandez thought pro wrestling was real.

-Unlike our recent Met teams, the ’86 squad was super arrogant. They were hated by more than just Philadelphia and Atlanta fans, because their cockiness transcended the division. Basically, nobody on the corner had swagger like them. Don’t believe me, take it from the Wizard of Oz, Mr. Ozzie Smith; “The Mets had this arrogant thing all year. You can be a winning team and still be likable. You Can Still Have Class.” You could be, they weren’t though, eat it Oz.

-“Daryl was so strong, and when he was tanked, he was unstoppable.”

-Keith Hernandez at one point in a regular season win against the Dodgers, hit a home run, returned to the dugout, and lit a cigarette.

-Gary Carter can speak French and coincidentally or not, is a real jerk. Ok, that’s not badass, but it made me laugh.


Well, I could type a whole lot more about all this, but luckily Jeff Pearlman did that already for me. So go out and buy the book if you guys haven’t had a chance to read it yet. I did my best to persuade you, so if you still aren’t interested, you probably don’t like the Mets and I probably don’t like you!