Johan and Opening Day

There has been much speculation of late regarding Johan Santana and his Opening Day availability. Well I am here to tell you that I have the inside scoop on the left-hander's status. Santana has already pitched the season opener against the Reds and he went the distance giving up 1 run on 3 hits with 8 strikeouts as the New York Mets went on to defeat the Cincinnati Reds 17 - 1 at Great American Ballpark. Mike Pelfrey will take the mound for game 2 of the series in my living room tomorrow night.

I'm not a huge video game person, yet every year I always go out and buy the new 2K platform baseball game on it's release day. This year I bought MLB 2K9 for the Xbox 360 instead of the Wii, strictly for the graphics (I like "swinging" the bat). After messing around with the controls a bit in an exhibition (it was actually the first time I had really played a game on the platform as it's not my system), I went ahead and started my franchise. Guess what team I picked?

The graphics are far superior to those you will get on the Wii platform. The ballparks all look fantastic especially the new Yankee Stadium and Citi Field. The games manufacturer must have made it a point to improve upon that from years past. The new cut away shots are much better from the old stock preloaded ones you would see over and over and over. The only visual disconnect I can find involve some player close-ups. The game sims a "hand-cam" in a shallow depth of field for these shots, and it can get nauseating after some time.

The game play itself is a breeze, and that is where there is fault. It's almost too easy. For anyone who has had the sheer pleasure of playing Playstation's The Show series knows how realistic that game seems especially in the batters box. You are able to guess both the pitch type and location before the ball is thrown. Should you guess correctly you gain a leg up on the opposition, otherwise - advantage pitcher. 2K Sports should have taken some notes on that, because their "batters eye" doesn't even come close and it is too hitter friendly. A first time user should not be able to hit 3 HR's in a game with Daniel Murphy, let alone off of Aaron Harang and Arthur Rhodes.

I haven't tested the online features yet, though I'm sure I'll get there tonight. As for now I can tell you that it is a stellar looking game that's fun to play. However if you have a PS3, there is no question that you should skip this purchase, and grab MLB '09: The Show.