Edge Means Stealing Third

Want a come from behind victory in the 9th inning or later? Then come on down to Carlos Beltran's Funhouse! We have everything you need to make your stolen base attempt successful. Good jumps, acceleration, smoke, mirrors, and even Chipper Jones! You name it!

In all seriousness, our 2 major late inning comeback victories in a week have come off of a rally started by Mr. Beltran swiping the third base bag. It's an amazing formula really. Carlos XBH + Borderline call on a steal at 3rd = W. I was at Citi Field on Tuesday for the first of his "questionable" steals. I knew in that moment he was going to steal third base. He's Carlos Beltran and that's what Carlos Beltran's do (comparable to Tiggers and bouncing). He went, McCann made a good throw, he was called safe. The new ballpark has a penchant for not showing replays that matter on those fancy big boards they have in the outfield, so I had no reason to believe otherwise. From my view in section 506, row 13, he was safe. Mets tie and eventually win the game on ensuing plays.

Last night after newly anointed set-up man Bobby Parnell allowed the tying runs to score in the bottom of the 8th, Carlos Beltran again decided he was going to put the team on his back and run them over to third base. Decent jump, good speed, good throw by a Molina brother, called safe. This time I had DVR to help me with this call. You know what? I didn't use it. The one replay they showed was good enough for me. Close call? Yes. Correct call? I think so. Does my opinion on this matter? No, but the umps does and he was called safe. End of story. On the ensuing plays David Wright continued his hot streak and hit an opposite field single that would score Beltran and put the Mets ahead for good. After the game Carlos told reporters that "Sometimes you're going to have to steal bases to win games. I'm trying to pick up the spot and David got the big hit."

There you have it folks! Proof positive that if you're team is lacking an "edge" in late inning situations, you need to come on down to Carlos Beltran's Funhouse! We are the Tri-state areas largest retailer and purveyor of stolen goods.