Is It Safe?

We could have swept them. Yup I said it. Tuesday was the must win that we were going to win, Wednesday was supposed to be in the bag when we got to Hamels in the 4th, and last night was the wild card that was going to see both teams throw up touchdowns. I was lucky enough to attend 2 of the 3 games and must say, as agonizing as a series loss can be in June there was some pretty good baseball that was played.

The one thing this series taught me though is that I never, ever feel safe after the 6th inning when facing the Phillies. I haven't for a few years now and it really just struck me over this week. In the past I could create a number of viable reasons for thinking the Mets could blow it, namely the beleaguered bullpen. But that was my mindset after the fact, that the Mets blew the game. This isn't the case. The Phillies - and I'm choking back vomit as I say this - are winners. They win baseball games, and they win in exciting fashion for their fans.

For the roster we're fielding right now, we played some good baseball. It's hard to come back in extra innings when your 1, 2, 3 for the inning is Omir Santos, Jeremy Reed, and Luis Castillo - but I digress. The Mets made some mistakes, but for the most part we didn't blow anything. We just lost to a better team. That's why I started this post off with "could have swept" - should have implies the Phillies being an inferior squad. They aren't and we all need to come to terms with it.

Our schedule for the rest of June (less an Orioles squad that is better than their record mind you) has us playing teams with a combined winning percentage of .517. Omir Santos is our starting catcher. John Maine, Oliver Perez, Carlos Delgado, and Jose Reyes are on the DL. Omir Santos is our starting catcher. An aging DH is our power bat. Omir Santos is our starting catcher. As of now we're 3 - 6 for the month of June, any thoughts on how the month will finish?

Aaaaand now for something positive - Subway Series viewing party tonight at Local 269 tonight! Weather permitting this game getting in, the bar is located at 269 E. Houston Street at the corner of Suffolk. The game will be projected on a big screen and there will be drink specials! Come down at 7pm and have a pint with us as we cheer on our New York Mets.