How Many More Days?

Do you know how I know I can't wait till the start of the season? Check out this image by Jeff Roberson of Newsday. Do you know who that is? That's 2008 Mets pariah Luis Castillo at the team's spring training complex today. This photo, the one of the Sultan of Slap, is how I know I can't wait any longer. Months ago this would make me sulk, and now it's making my blood pump the only way New York Metropolitans baseball can.

And you know what? Luis has me fired up by his actions as well. He showed up to camp today weighing 17 pounds lighter than he did last year. Word has it that he traveled a total of 2 hours daily over the off-season to work out at the Mets training facility in the Dominican Republic. Castillo is on a mission to prove that last season was a fluke, and he's the gamer he signed on to be for this team.

"I'm a new man right now." Castillo told reporters. He and Jose Reyes worked out all day. His middle infield partner noticed a difference himself. Per Marty Noble:
"You could see the difference on the field," Jose Reyes said. "We ran at the same time. He was like a little boy."
Maybe I'm just "drinking the Luis Castillo Kool-ade" as Adam Schein would say, but if Jose is drinking than so am I. Speaking of Reyes, he is already taking noticeable steps to becoming the leader Jerry Manuel wants him to be by palling around with the formerly downtrodden Castillo. It's these actions that speak louder than words.

Yet when words were needed today when asked about his spot in the lineup, he provided. Reyes said he has no problems hitting anywhere, and that he's here to help the team win first and foremost. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're going to see big things from Professor Reyes in '09. Someone get me another glass of that Kool-ade. I need something to keep me busy till this season starts.