Rant - Let's Just Keep Ourselves Around .333

Because that is what we have done for the month of June at the sweet record of 6 - 12. To even have a chance at keeping Jerry's .500 message alive the team will have to go 8 - 1 the next 9 games against Albert & Co., the Yankees, and the Brewers. Something tells me that will not happen.

Realistically, if Beltran's MRI today turns out okay allowing him to play 7 of 9, and Wright isn't on one of his cold streaks, I can see this team maybe going 5 - 4 the rest of the month. Now keep in mind this is also pending on Alex Cora's thumb staying attached to his body, Castillo using 2 hands, Brian Piazza continuing his little tear, and Fernando Nieve pitching like he's Roy Halladay. Seems like a little too much to ask to you too doesn't it?

I'm just not sure what is happening with this team anymore. I worked through the weekend and had lots going on after work during the week so I only caught the end of most of the games (This includes Frankie blowing it against the O's and Bobby not recording an out yesterday). This whole stretch has just been painful. Part of me wishes the Phillies were playing better just so we would have an excuse to start moving on from this season and plan for next year. That hasn't happened though and somehow we're still in contention despite being 3 - 7 over our last 10. Hell we've moved ahead a game!

But it isn't just me that seems bewildered by all this. I'm getting that vibe from most fans. Our manager looks and sounds like he could vacation right about now and the surely isn't helping the vibe. I don't want to bring up grission and I won't, but I will say this team just looks defeated in the few moments I've caught this last week. I'm hoping that will change I really do, because I want to get behind these guys. I think that is something that gets lost in the negativity. Those of us writing about this club don't want them to fail. I think we're all just disappointed - severely disappointed really. My problem isn't with the feeling itself though. It's being disappointed with a team I am finding it harder and harder to get behind. Something has got to give to alleviate this, and I hope it happens soon.